Wednesday, 5 August 2009

1st Platoon Progress - now with bases!

Today, I spent a good hour or so basing the 1st platoon, making a captain for the 1st platoon command, and finishing my master of ordnance conversion. Without further ado, pictures!

1st Platoon command, the Captain is converted.

2nd squad legs; im keeping the parts seperate until I have painted them all, then I'll be assembling them. I'm still trying different methods of painting, to see what works best. The bases are made with cork chunks, basing sand and wire wrapped around a pencil to resemble barbed wire, which is stuck down with green stuff. As this platoon is designed for assault, I wanted them to look as though theyre legging it across a no-mans land. The 2nd platoon will be based in trench-style bases, to reflect their defensive role.

Master of Ordnance conversion, using parts from the command spurue and a space marine head. The bases are primarily made from cork, with some plasticard for planking. I want the company command to be based on these, to resemble them being in a command trench of some description.

And now, painted stuff!

1st Platoon, 1st Squad. they are more or less done, I just need to paint the Sarges' power sword, and do a couple of touch ups. I could also use a metal paint, the ones i have are stuck shut. Damn students salary is preventing me from free reign over paints and brushes. In fact, all this was done with 3 brushes, none of which are in a good condition!

This is an experiment in green stuff backpacks and bedrolls. I may very well do the same thing for all of them.

And a couple of random pictures:

the full platoon WIP.

"You will die, when I say, you must die, back to the front!"

Standard Infantryman of the Sculfleet 1st's gear.

Overall I'm happy with progress made. I think I'm going to take a break from troops, and paint the MoO and Commander. I enjoy doing individual models as opposed to blocks of rank and file.

Friday, 31 July 2009

1st Platoon Bombadiers/Company Commander

So, I finally finished deciding on the colour scheme and painted up the first squad of the army, a special weapon squad with 3 grenade launchers. I am also going to be mega sneaky, and make up more special weapons from the command and platoon sprues, and use the snap-fit guardsmen to take their place in their respective squads. That way, I can have the option of using the different special weapons.

I have also started a Company Commander conversion. Merchant-General James Scrymgeour, commander of the 1st Sculfleet, is of the most noble lineage of Scrymgeour, and 5th in line to the throne. He weilds an imperial issue power fist, and a weapon of archaic design known as the "Gauntlet of Ferrus' Wrath". It is a Space Marine designed power fist which has had its power supply rerouted to a plasma conduit to provide him with a powerful, albeit unstable, ranged weapon. The Merchant-General gained this odd weapon while engaged in combat alongside Space Marines of the Hellions of Steel chapter. Sculfleet forces fought with such ferocity in battle, that the Hellions took many soldiers aboard their Battle Barges stationed in orbit for treatment. James, having had his left arm torn off by a Chaos Space Marine, recieved a mechanical transplant, the Gauntlet in question.

For some reason the pictures of the conversion came out really badly!

- Closeup of the 'Gauntlet of Ferrus' Wrath'

Friday, 17 July 2009

First few models, plus fortress based shenanigans.

So, i finally have a working camera (though no lightbox yet, its just one thing after another!), and lo, there are now some crappy definition pictures to show!

This is a bunch of fisher price toys that i picked up for £2; i figure with a little plasticard, it will make a decent bastion/factory, and a pair of gun emplacement anderson shelter type things. Perfect for Planetstrike, who needs and Imperial Bastion kit! (Though they do look damned nice!)

Here we have two different colour schemes. I have decided on the greener one, as opposed to the khaki. I may use the khaki uniform with drab brown armour for artillery or tank crews though. The main colours used are Humbrol dark green acrylic for the armour, highlighted with codex grey for some weathering (i'm out of gunmetal, and cant afford new paints!), the uniform is gretchin green which is to be highlighted with a 50/50 mix of that and bleached bone. I also used a couple of layers of brown wash, it makes the lower areas of the uniform look slightly dusty and muddy.

The first squad and a special weapons squad are converted and ready to paint, though I am considering adding backpacks made from random bits to them. I wouldnt mind going in a slightly steampunk direction, especially for the heavy weapons where a big bulky backpack is somewhat warranted.

Monday, 13 July 2009

Beginnings of the Green Legion

So, at long last, my first detachment of Imperial Guard have arrived! Sadly, I dont have any WIP pictures, due to my camera lacking a USB cable, but hopefully this will be remedied tomorrow.

I have started removing the mould lines and putting together 25 Guardsmen of 1st Platoon, it is going well. I am thouroughly impressed by the cadian command sprue, the amount of options is fantastic. I am going to save the special weapons until i have parts to build spare guardsmen, which should be once i build 2nd Platoon (Autocannons in each squad mean 2 squaddies are not needed).

In other news, I managed to pick up a Fisher Price building which is completely modular, in that the floors, walls and rooves are interchangeable, for £2. With a little plasticard work, it will become a Bastion and command center for my new army!

Hoepfully tomorrow I'll have some pictures to post.